Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year - Plans for 2016



Happy New Year!  I hope you enjoyed the fireworks last night and are starting 2016 off with lots of good intentions.  I’m not really one for New Year’s Resolutions, but I do have a few goals that I want to achieve this year.

This is it, my final year at university and it will all to be decided within six months time.  I’ll be shooting and soaring, bounding and leaping, into a brand new career and way of life.  How very exciting, and not even a little bit scary (well, maybe a morsel).

As have a lot of people, I've been thinking about what I learned in 2015 and reviewing the year.  It feels such a long time ago now, but back in February I organised an American Pancake Brunch with my fellow Event Management students; went to Costa Rica for five weeks in May learning Spanish, saving turtles and bird watching at an eco-lodge; and started planning what I'd like to do when I graduate university.

I've read a few other blog posts in the run up to the big NYE and a couple stood out for me.  The first was Monica Galvan's Choose to Live a Creative Life and the phrase "create more than you consume".  It's going to be my phrase (I couldn't do just one word as I know some people have) for 2016.  I want to create many new and beautiful photographs, and be more mindful about the products I purchase.  Could I buy handmade instead?  How will I discard what is being replaced and avoid my waste ending up in our oceans?

And the second was Beverley from Pack Your Passport's In Defence of Spending New Year Alone post.  My past few trips have been with other people and this post reminded me of the sheer satisfaction in travelling to a new destination alone, I am thinking about going on a trip when I graduate and at the moment leaning towards going back to New York, always a winner, but should I go somewhere I've not been before?  Maybe I'll create a Pinterest board with my options.

So these are my goals for 2016:

1) Review the images I have for my personal photography project and build a strong portfolio.
2) Plan and curate an exhibition of my final images in celebration of completing the project and promote awareness of what is happening to the vast seas and oceans of the world.
3) Graduate from university with a degree in Digital Photography and Event Management.
4) Continue to develop my photography skills (just cos I graduate, doesn't mean I stop learning).



Do you make New Year’s Resolutions and/or goals for 2016?  What are your plans for this brand new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment